Thursday, April 25, 2013

Highlight Reel

Wow! I can't believe it has been over a month since my last post.  School is a powerful drug. It's like it eats time. Anyway, here are some of my favorite foods I've made over the last month.

Hummus sandwich, an easy go to when I know I'm going to have a busy day.  It packs up nicely and doesn't need to be refrigerated so its good to-go.  I use any type of whole grain bread, smother one side with hummus and layer veggies on the other side.  In this instance I used cucumber, red bell pepper, and lettuce.  Other veggies I like to use are other colored bell peppers(yellow are great) tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach. I have also substituted avocado for hummus. Depending on the firmness I either mash or slice it.


Hard tacos. I sauteed sliced onion and red bell pepper in olive oil and crushed red pepper, no need to add salt, there is plenty of flavor. Pan fried chipotle field roast sausages, mashed avocado, trader joes refried black beans with jalapeno. Load all the toppings into store bought hard shells and you're done.

Vegan street tacos. I fried corn tortillas in a little bit of olive oil and then placed it in a folded position while it cooled. Then I pan fried a chipotle field roast sausage  and roughly chopped it up with the spatula so it looked like taco meat and topped the tacos with pickled red onions. 

I often use recipes for guides and combine elements to make my own version.  This was my first time pickling my own red onions and I chose the easy refrigerated version mostly because I'm lazy.  They ended up turning out so good that they were gone in less than a week.  Next time I am making 3 jars full. Oh and the best part is once the onions are gone I used the brine to make salad dressing. 

Pickled Red Onions
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3Tbsp sugar
6 allspice balls
6 cloves
1 Dried bay leaf
2 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds
1tsp each salt and pepper
-Fill a jar with thinly sliced red onions
-Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive pan and boil for 5 minutes and let cool
-Pour mixture over the red onions in the jar and refrigerate for 4 days before eating.

They tasted the best at about a week.
I also used the red onions to do vegan hot dogs using pan fried smoked apple sage field roast sausages and hoagie buns.  The little mustard seeds are so full of flavor and they pop when you eat them. YUM!

My famous soba salad can be made a variety of ways but the core ingredients are Soba(Duh!), avocado, green onions, cucumber, and lettuce.  Above and beyond that you can put in whatever you like really.  I like matchstick carrots, blanched asparagus, red bell pepper, etc.  So basically you boil the soba according to the directions, cut up your veggies and combine them.  Then I top the salad with sliced almond, sesame seeds, and furikake ( a seaweed seasoning you can find in the asian section). I always put the dressing in a separate bowl so that each person can decide how much they want to put on.
Soba salad Dressing
2Tbsp sesame oil
1Tbsp light olive oil
1Tbsp soy sauce
1Tbsp sriracha(more if you like it spicy)
a cap of rice vinegar and a pinch of sugar
-Whisk ingredients and adjust to taste, I rarely measure I just add stuff until it tastes right.

Ah yes and I did a beet, blueberry, kale and almond milk smoothie.  Now I must emphasize that you use boiled beets, NOT pickled beets from a can.  I used half a beet and it gave it a beautiful color and added natural sweetness.

Lastly, although I didn't take any pictures, I hosted an incredible vegan sushi night. Everyone brought toppings and we ended up with a wonderful variety of sushi. The topping included lightly roasted asparagus, zucchini, carrots,mashed sweet potato, cucumber, fried tofu, sauteed portabellas, and avocado.  Al we did was make sushi rice according to any online recipe and spread it on nori then add 2-3 toppings and roll.  My two favorites were avocado/cucumber/fried tofu/carrot and sweet potato/asparagus/zucchini. We also did desert sushi.  For this we used rice paper wrappers that you can buy at any asian store, sticky rice made in the rice cooker, azuki beans(red beans boiled in water for an hour then mashed with sugar, found the recipe online, got the beans from asian store), fried banana, sliced cantaloupe, and kiwi.  My favorite was with azuki beans and fried banana.  Oh and the best part was that I made sweet coconut milk by simmering coconut milk for 15 min stirring frequently then added 2 Tbsp sugar and dipped the desert sushi in it. Delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment